Tuesday, May 02, 2006

My BIGGEST fear


Look at that sweet face. Every since I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease I was worried that one day my children would have it or some other food allergy. God has a plan, I am a just a wee person blessed with the overwhelming job of being Nicholas' mom. I am stepping up to the plate and I will do whatever it takes to protect his well-being, both physical and emotional. So here it goes........
The Dr's office called with the results of the RAST (allergy test) Nicholas is allergic to:
Cow's milk (all dairy and dairy derivatives)
Corn
Peanuts (ironic since I call him Peanut Butter)
Soybeans
Beef
and to make it a nice round number of 6
Whole eggs (both yolk and whites)
I will to continue breastfeeding so I must also avoid ALL of the mentioned foods, in whatever form they are found in food. This is just an allergy, he is totally healthy and happy. I am not sure how long it will take my body to be flushed of all of the 'toxins' so it might be a rough couple of days or even weeks, but nothing worse than how things are now. I will continue to comfort him at night and when I am exhausted I will remind myself that Nicholas probably has a tummy ache and doesn't understand. I hope that once all this is cleared out of my body he will sleep better and be willing to 'try' some food. I wanted to mention that the allergies don't include wheat or gluten. Ironic (again) that the food I can't eat he can and what he can't have I can. Perhaps by me avoiding the wheat has protected him against that allergy. We may never know!
Tomorrow we go to the GI Consultant. I am not sure what else he/she will want to do, if anything. But my bases will be covered and I am seeking a new pediatrician. Keep Nicholas and me in your prayers. I will need SO much will power to stay away from all the food. I will update after the Dr apt tomorrow for those keeping up with me.........

1 comment:

Weiss Women said...

Oh Sarah! I will be praying for you and your family! You won't be able to eat anything anymore. You can do it Sarah, if anyone can you can. You are such a wonderful Mom. Nicholas is so blessed to have you. I hope he feels better soon.
love, Julianne